Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Thing 26 Note Taking Tools

I read this information about a week ago and didn't have the time to post my blog.  I was interested in this topic as every year I do a research report with fourth graders.  It is a common core requirement that fourth graders collect information from a variety of sources.  For this assignment the fourth grade students work with me on note taking and then they use their notes in class for a writing assignment that is spearheaded by the classroom teacher.  The fourth grade teachers are more than happy that I do this part of the assignment as it is like volunteering to do a spring cleaning of the yard when you have a couple of dogs; it is messy, hard work and not very pleasant.  So, I was interested to see if there were any note taking apps that would be useful for this assignment.  There were not.  However, personally, I think I will a great deal out of google keep.  I will be staying with my current method.  I use excel to generate cards, two for a book, one for an encyclopedia and one for a database.  I have questions on there that will help the student refine their focus when they get to writing the assignment.  I actually  have the cards in publisher.  Here is a copy of an example that I show the kids:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LecGmjarrtsBse6YlR47_Hr3DYWaNVUeWlw61uz4mP8/edit?usp=sharing

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes paper is the simplest approach, especially if they don't all have their own chromebooks or other devices. If they did all have their own devices, a google doc or google slides would be a great way to share the templates and then they'd be able to reuse their notes as they write their reports.

    ReplyDelete