Saturday, February 10, 2018

THING 8 DATABASES

I am a big fan of databases.  This week in library for third grade we have been studying Australia and will be moving into books about Egypt.  I read the book, The Sandwich Swap, to the students and we talked about how different countries have different foods.  I then showed students that they would be using SCHOLASTIC GO and would find another thing that was different about the two countries.  They also had to match up two pictures, The Great Sphinx and Ayers Rock and determine which of the two countries it was located in.  My students are used to using Pebble Go and I always make my research projects from scratch because what Pebble Go has to offer is the lowest level of Bloom's.  Still I was surprised how many students found this assignment to be difficult. 
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1rGApsR2vUeUCrj8iQXsi0_AUoWl0Hgw7Gr64X6t4788/edit?usp=sharing

I came across this idea for this particular assignment when I was checking out NOVEL's Brittanica.  There is a feature where the names of two countries are typed in and comparative data is shown.  I also like the geography game that they have for younger kids.

I read the articles and especially liked the piktograph and the comparative chart of databases versus the general internet.  I sent them both on to colleagues who hare going to present to faculty on databases.  This year the three of us are polling our respective faculties to see what databases they are using and/or would like to use for purchasing decisions.  Below is a copy of my survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/dCjkK0jzm0J3oVmm1

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear the comparative chart of databases/internet was useful! I do wish all our databases were as easy to use as Google, I know I'm guilty of not using the databases as much as I could. Hope your survey gives you some good info that you can work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And hey, congrats! Looks like you've already finished 10 topics for this year? You're the first person to finish this year! :)

    ReplyDelete