Sunday, January 7, 2018

Thing 15 Augmented and Virtual Reality

We have something in our district called and IDEA grant and teachers can write a proposal for a special project.  One of the teachers at our school did this and got a class set of google VR viewers.  I am using the viewers the week after next for our monthly STEM session with fourth graders.  I run this event monthly with the middle school librarian, Linda Fasano and her middle school students.  Typically, what her kids do in her maker space Monday we do on Tuesday with the fourth graders.

I read through the information posted for this assignment.  I especially liked the 10 Minute Teacher Podcast that talked about the distinctions between AR and VR and future applications.  I went to ISTE this past summer and went to a workshop on aurasma.  The facilitators had loaded historical information about different buildings in downtown San Antonio and using our phones we took a walking tour of the sites that had been aurasmafied. 

What I am going to do next week with the google expedition glasses is I downloaded a whole bunch of different towers from around the world.  Students will select 2 or 3 of the towers to look at and then with a partner and some materials, recreate the tower.

I am going to try this with kindergarten too.  I'll keep you posted on how they went.


1 comment:

  1. Would love to hear more about how it goes! Sounds like fun. Post a follow up here or in a new post so I'll be sure to see it.

    ReplyDelete